Preserving the Story
Who We Are
Our all volunteer Board of Directors is committed to serving our community!
Sue Beckwith, PresidentAva Cameron, Vice President & Treasurer
T.J. Allen, Secretary
Marc Holm, Mayor of Elgin (2008-2016)
Dr. Harry Krenek, professor of Texas history (ret.)
Renee Girling, local business leader
The Mary Christian Burleson Preservation and Development Foundation will preserve the homestead of Mary Christian Burleson in Elgin, Texas in order to educate the public about:
- multicultural strengths of Elgin in the context of the history of Elgin, Bastrop County, and central Texas
- the strength of Texas women, and
- ecology, sustainable agriculture, and history.
The Mary Christian Burleson Preservation and Development Foundation was formed as a Texas non-profit, charitable corporation in 2011.
Founding board members:
In October of 2015, the Board held a community workshop to decide the focus of future programming at the homestead. Based on that community input, the Mary Christian Burleson homestead will focus on these key themes.
- Sustainable agriculture - Ecology
- Strength of Texas women
- Multicultural strengths of Elgin in the context of history